Ma Lakshmi is known as Goddess of Wealth and Fortune in India. She is one of the most important deities for people to pray and why not? Everybody needs money. Every human has a desire to have a prosperous life full of wealth and luxury. Everybody wants all the good things and all the happiness & pleasures that they see around themselves.
But, does everybody achieve all the desires one has? The answer is NO. Because despite having a certain amount of money and luxury, people tend to be jealous and greedy. Out of jealousy people gossip, spread false things about others, do wrong actions, manipulate situations, may even take extreme steps, deriving sadistic pleasures – you start feeling nice and accomplished when you see the other person sad, worried or victimized.
Do you think you can ever get prosperous by doing such things? You are knowingly and unknowingly inviting Alakshmi to yourself. Alakshmi is the opposite of Lakshmi. Lakshmi is the Goddess of wealth and fortune while Alakshmi brings misfortune, hurdles, poverty and grief (Law of Duality).
Alakshmi comes when there is an accumulation of bad karmas. So if you think you can have lots of money & luxury and at the same time seek sadistic pleasures, you’re on the wrong track. Haven’t you seen people in depression in the wealthiest of families? Haven’t you read news about people doing heinous crimes in the most affluent class?
To be prosperous not only means just to have wealth but also having other types of luxuries like sound physical and mental health, peaceful mind, good family, cheerful atmosphere at home, pleasant relations with others, knowledge, etc.
Hence, Lakshmi manifests Herself into eight forms, popularly known as Ashtalakshmi. She signifies eight different forms of wealth – prosperity, fertility, good luck, good health, knowledge, strength, progeny and power.
- Adi Lakshmi – Adi means the ‘source’. It means the wealth that supports a seeker to reach at his source – consciousness. In other words, it means spiritual wealth / knowledge. Whether a person believes it or not, happiness, bliss and peace comes effortlessly by spirituality. With the blessings of Adi Lakshmi, a person attains a strong, focused, unwavering mind full of wisdom and strength.
- Dhana Lakshmi – Dhana means money. She is the giver of wealth in the form of money. With the help of money one acquires all the material things like big houses, expensive clothes, far away travels, exotic vacations, jewelries, etc.
- Dhanya Lakshmi – Dhanya means ‘grains’. She is the Goddess of agricultural wealth depicting fertile land, clean environment, good produce of crops, abundance of food. This also means prosperity in the form of food. The person would love to throw parties where sumptuous delicious food is made and everyone enjoys it! It denotes pleasures of life in relation to food, family and friends. A person might also be inclined to donate food in charity to the poor and needy .
- Gaja Lakshmi – Gaja means ‘elephant’. In this context elephant means cattle or animals. Prosperity in the form of animals might be linked to farmers owning a number of cattle, also people owning dairy farms and pleasures a person can receive from having pet animals, aquariums, farms etc.
- Santaan Lakshmi – Santaan means ‘offspring’. It means, wealth of having children, having a family. Having the fortune of giving birth to another life through you and also the happiness one gets from raising ones children, seeing them grow, watching them being successful in their endeavors, is immeasurable. Having sensitive and well character-ed kids with strong moral values definitely makes life rich for the parents.
- Dhairya Lakshmi – Dhairya means ‘patience’.Patience is a positive quality in a person. With patience one can achieve greatest things in life. It is a strength. An impatient person will be quarrelsome and will face hurdles in the smallest of things.
- Jaya Lakshmi – Jaya means ‘victory’. Victory means conquering hurdles of life to achieve success. Through courage comes victory. Courage, focus and clarity of thoughts leads to having a fulfilling life.
- Vidya Lakshmi – Vidya means ‘knowledge’. Knowledge here means knowledge of subjects like science, arts and everything that is material by nature.The degree one gets, the field one is in, the subjects one is passionate about- physics, mathematics, commerce, languages, history, etc. all comes under this category. And the pleasures and success that one acquires by studying and utilizing the knowledge of ones favorite subjects into wholesome careers and earning and enjoying life through it comes under Vidya Lakshmi.
These are the eight forms of Ashtalakshmi. From here, one can realize that wealth doesn’t mean only money but also how happy one can be from the bottom of one’s heart – by means of having patience, courage, material and spiritual knowledge, raising kids by providing them good environment, by being social, by enjoying sumptuous food with friends and family, and by spending time with animals – one becomes sensitive to Nature, thus, enjoying ALL ASPECTS of life.